Is the modern revolver making a comeback in the concealed carry world? That is hard to say, but the interest is higher than I have seen in a long time.

It is the truth

Revolvers get a bad rap by many, the problem is a lot of the arguments against have valid points. It is a lower capacity firearm. It requires a high degree of skill to effectively manage the long double action. Reloading is crucial and challenging to master. When something as important as hitting, the targets is the subject you pay attention to these points. You will notice targets is plural and one of the main drawbacks I see with carrying a revolver every day; it is a “one man” gun. While many people would rather hope for the best, I’m more inclined to consider the worse. Any lethal confrontation is a worst-case scenario. Add multiple attackers and you are truly in a bad way.

Apples to oranges

In today’s market, the circumstances most carry a revolver is as a backup to their primary. While I have done so more times than I can count the problem I always had was carrying a different platform from my primary. Not only was it different, pistol vs. revolver, it fired different ammunition. When training resources are limited, I have a hard time justifying the expenditure on something I may not use versus something I most likely will use. The time I had to put into shooting the smaller more recoil sensitive platforms was not the issue. It was the time I expended mastering the reloads along with the challenges of carrying reloads while concealed.

Volume is key

With today’s advancements in self-defense ammunition you should be able to find good loads for the shorter barreled revolvers. Then using lighter, less recoiling rounds for training allows you to increase the round count volume. To develop proficiency volume is relative. Maintaining strict standards, the higher the volume the higher the proficiency level. Getting more time on the longer double action triggers should be a top priority, but balanced with the ability to reload under a variety of conditions. Whatever your preference, loose rounds, speed loaders or speed strips practice is the key. Marksmanship requires live fire training to truly develop and the irony is in the process you will have to work at getting good with reloads due to the volume.

Keep things in perspective

When it comes to marksmanship I remind folks it is the Indian and not the arrow. Even the short-barreled revolvers with low profile sights are still plenty accurate. Don’t make the mistake of thinking you will never have to shoot your snubby out at distance, distance is always around. Instead be proportionate at how you allocate your rounds regarding distance. If you believe there’s an 80% chance of using your firearm at close range, inside 5 yards then expend 20% at the greater ranges. Like anything you don’t have to master the skill, you just need to be proficient. Another way of looking at that is you want to suck less than the bad guy.

Modern day revolvers really didn’t go anywhere, more people are recognizing they’re not just a backup option. The benefit is not without a higher demand for practice and training.

Leave a Reply

Trident Concepts
This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. By browsing this website, you agree to our use of cookies.