Basic Carry (102) is a two-day beginner level pistol course that will teach you how to discreetly wear defensive handguns and supporting equipment. The Basic Carry class begins with an in-depth presentation on common handguns, holsters and belts used for carrying concealed. Self-defense ammunition selection and annual ammunition allocations are also covered in depth. From there, the range session begins with a firearm safety brief, basic firearms operations drills and handgun proficiency demonstration. You will be taught the four-count draw stroke technique starting from open carry and progressing to concealed carry as safety allows. Various dry fire and live fire drills will help you safely handle and shoot your handguns from concealed carry. We will also cover off-body storage of firearms & ammunition to prevent unauthorized access and accidents due to negligent firearms handling. Finally, we will discuss deadly force considerations, legal defense and post-shooting scenarios.
Gear & Equipment:
- Carry pistol, 9mm recommended
- 1,000 rounds of practice ammunition
- 25 rounds of defensive ammunition
- 5x pistol magazines minimum (8 for single stacks)
- Range attire: long pants, comfortable shirt, athletic shoes and ball cap
- Sturdy belt
- On the waistband (OWB) belt holster
- Single and or double magazine pouch
- Wrap around ballistic eye protection
- Hearing protection
- Water and snacks
- Firearms cleaning kit and quality lubrication
- Notebook and pencil
- Open mind
The below drills are suggested as minimum skill requirements to meet the prerequisites for this course. All drills are shot using primary carry pistol from the holster (unless otherwise specified) in an open carry condition. The recommended target is the TRICON TCT-MK4 available from Action Target or TRICON B8 target.
- TRICON “Kilo” Drill: at the 10 yard line aimed in on the target fire 1 round. Then from the ready, fire 4 rounds. Then from the ready, fire 3 rounds one handed. From the holster, draw and fire 2 rounds. Par time for each stage is 5 seconds and must score 80/100 or higher.
- TRICON “Delta 2”: at the 10 yard line from the ready position fire 1 round in 3.5 seconds. Repeat for 10 repetitions total. Must be below par and score 80/100 or higher.
- TRICON “Foxtrot 2”: at the 5 yard from the ready position fire 2 rounds in 5 seconds. Repeat at the 10, 15, 20 & 25 yard line. Must be below par at each stage and score 80/100 or higher.
Registration fee does not include any associated range fees.