The Patrol Rifle (205) is a 2-day advanced rifle course for the professional gunman emphasizing practical application of marksmanship skills based around tactical scenarios. Students are tested for both speed and accuracy from 0 to 100 yards (where available) using duty grade rifles equipped with a red dot sight or low powered variable optics. The curriculum is largely made up of graded drills designed to hold the shooter to a high level of accountability. Heavy emphasis is placed on mastering the following: body position, crush grip, sight management, trigger control and follow through. Subjects covered include: proper zeroing, duty level core competencies, shooting on the move, shooting behind cover, bi-lateral shooting and positional shooting. A major course objective is identifying shooter’s strengths and weaknesses in an effort to sustain and improve throughout the course. Students are provided real time feedback and corrective strategies based on performance and specified needs. Additional subjects include: backup iron sights, down optics, point of impact familiarization, ammunition management, pistol transitions and adjustable sling use.
- AR15 rifle with red dot sight (low powered variable optic optional)
- Two point adjustable sling
- Duty pistol
- 1,000 rounds of rifle training ammunition
- 50 rounds of rifle duty ammunition
- 50 rounds of pistol training ammunition
- 5 x pistol magazines (8 magazines for single stacks)
- 5 x inert training rounds
- Range attire: long pants, comfortable shirt, athletic shoes and ball cap (gloves optional)
- First line gear: tactical belt, duty holster (level 2 or 3 retention), magazine pouches, dump pouch & IFAK (optional)
- Second line gear: chest rig or plate carrier capable of carrying 3 rifle magazines
- Handheld flashlight
- Multi-tool device
- Wrap around ballistic eye protection
- Hearing protection
- Water, snacks, sunscreen and appropriate inclement weather clothing
- Firearms cleaning kit and quality lubrication
- Notebook and pencil
- Open mind
Tactical Rifle 2 or similar. The below drills are suggested as minimum skill requirements to meet the prerequisites. All drills are shot using a low ready position of at least 45 degrees downward. The recommended target is the TRICON TCT-MK4 available from Action Target or TRICON B8 target..
- TRICON “Alpha” standard: at the 25 yard line, fire 10 rounds (9 reload 1) in 12 seconds or less. Must be below par and score 80/100 points or higher.
- TRICON “India” standard: at the 10 yard line, fire 1 round in 2.5 seconds or less. Repeat firing 2 rounds, 3 rounds, 4 rounds and finish with 5 rounds. Must be below par and score 135/150 or higher.
- TRICON “Juliet” standard: at the 50 yard line, fire 10 rounds from any position in 60 seconds or less. Must be below par and score 80/100 or higher.