The Mid Range Advanced Rifle 3 (303) is an expert level 3-day course designed to push the student and equipment to the maximum effective range of the M4/AR15 5.56mm platform. In the Mid Range Advanced Rifle course, students learn how to deliver effective fire at mid-ranges from 10m to 300m (further engagements range and class specific) through an expanded understanding of marksmanship principles and equipment. A brief discussion on environmental factors at the further ranges will give a basic understanding of limitations and how to work around them. Subjects include; proper zeroing procedures, Point Blank Range theory, known and unknown distance shooting, target analysis and shooting positions optimally suited for mid-range engagements. A major objective of this course is the ability to achieve first-round lethal strikes at unknown distances. The course material has a heavy emphasis on the rapid assumption and movement from various shooting positions and thus physically demanding. Rifle weight and mission essential gear are discussed relevant to performance and in specific the degradation of performance when rifles weigh more than nine pounds unloaded. Supporting objectives include shot calling, ammunition selection, low powered magnified optics benefits and sling supported techniques.
Gear & Equipment:
- AR15/M4 rifle/carbine chambered in 5.56mm
- Adjustable rifle sling
- Red dot sight or low powered variable optic
- 1,000 rounds of factory ammunition (5.56mm match grade recommended)
- 5 x magazines
- Range attire: long pants, comfortable shirt, athletic shoes and ball cap
- 1st Line gear (rigid belt, sturdy holster, magazine pouches and dump pouch)
- Clear and tinted wrap around ballistic eye and electronic hearing protection
- Shooting pad or knee/elbow pads
- Shooting rest or sandbags (bi-pod optional)
- Clear/tinted ballistic wrap around eye protection
- Hearing protection
- Firearm cleaning kit and lubrication
- Notebook and pencil
- Water, food, snacks and appropriate clothing for inclement weather
- Open mind
Tactical Rifle 2 or similar. The below drills are suggested as minimum skill requirements to meet the prerequisites. All drills are shot using a low ready position of at least 45 degrees downward. The recommended target is the TRICON TCT-MK4 available from Action Target or an official NRA B8 repair center.
- TRICON Rifle Test: at the 25 yard line, fire 10 rounds (9 reload 1) in 10 seconds or less. Must be below par and score 80/100 points or higher.
- TRICON Rifle Bill Drill: at the 25 yard line, fire 4 rounds standing to the body, then drop to kneeling and fire 2 rounds to the head in 8 seconds or less. Must be below par and score 80/100 or higher.
- TRICON Rifle Slow Fire Test: at the 50 yard line, fire 10 rounds from any position in 60 seconds or less. Must be below par and score 80/100 or higher.
Registration fee does not include any associated range fees.