The Duty Pistol (204) is a 2-day advanced course for professional gunmen emphasizing practical application of pistol marksmanship skills based around tactical scenarios. Students are tested for both speed and accuracy from 0 to 50 yards (where available) using duty grade pistols equipped with pistol mounted optics from retention type holsters.The curriculum is largely made up of graded drills designed to hold the shooter to a high level of accountability.Heavy emphasis is placed on mastering the following: body position, crush grip, sight management, trigger control and follow through.Subjects covered include: proper PMO zeroing, duty level core competencies, shooting on the move, shooting behind cover, strong/weak hand only shooting and positional shooting.A major course objective is identifying shooter’s strengths and weaknesses in an effort to sustain and improve throughout the course.Students are provided real time feedback and corrective strategies based on performance and specified needs. Additional subjects include: backup iron sights, down optics, point of impact familiarization, ammunition management, close quarters shooting and duty ammunition performance.
- Duty pistol with a red dot sight* (WML optional)
- 1,000 rounds of training ammunition
- 50 rounds of duty ammunition
- 5 x pistol magazines (8 magazines for single stacks)
- 5 x inert training rounds
- Range attire: long pants, comfortable shirt, athletic shoes and ball cap
- Basic loadout: tactical belt, duty holster (level 2 or 3 retention), magazine pouches, dump pouch & IFAK (optional)
- Handheld flashlight
- Multi-tool device
- Wrap around ballistic eye protection
- Hearing protection
- Water, snacks, sunscreen and appropriate inclement weather clothing
- Firearms cleaning kit and quality lubrication
- Notebook and pencil
- Open mind
*Students are welcome to use RDS equipped pistols, but must ensure they are properly zeroed. Recommended zero distance is 25 yards for optimal performance, but regardless students must know their impacts at ranges from 0-25 yards.
Tactical Pistol 2 or similar. The suggested drills are minimum skill requirements to meet the prerequisites. All drills are shot using duty pistol with red dot sight from the holster. The recommended target is the TRICON TCT-MK4 available from Action Target or TRICON B8 target.
- TRICON “Delta” Standard; at the 5 yard line; fire 1 round in 3 seconds. Repeat drill firing 2 rounds, 3 rounds, 4 rounds and 5 rounds. Must be below par for each stage and score 120/150 or higher.
- TRICON “Bravo” Standard; at the 10 yard line, fire 9 rounds reload and fire 1 round in 15 seconds. Must be below par and score 80/100 or higher.
- TRICON “Echo 2” Standard; at the 25 yard line, fire 1 round from ready in 5 seconds for 5 repetitions. Repeat from the holster. Must be below par and score 80/100 or higher.