The Low Visibility Carry (312) is an advanced 2-day course on covert carrying of pistols and other supporting equipment in non-permissive environments. Students learn the essential skills for concealing and drawing their primary carry pistol and fixed blade knife from regular street clothes in high threat surroundings. Close range evolutions will focus on quickly defeating the cover garment for fast, first shots on target or knife strikes to vital anatomy. Long range evolutions will focus on delivering precise shots against complex targets outside normal pistol ranges. Subjects covered include: concealed carry methods, defeat methodology, drawstroke techniques, fixed blade knife techniques, supporting equipment and integrated pistol & knife techniques. A major objective is maintaining the lowest visibility possible until the last, best option is necessary to stop an attack and break contact. Students are provided real time feedback and corrective strategies based on performance and specified needs. Additional subjects include: movement, multiple threats, choosing cover garments, fixed blade knife carriage, improvised weapons and soft armor incorporation.
- Primary carry pistol, 9mm (red dot sight optional*)
- 1,000 rounds of training ammunition
- 5x pistol magazines minimum
- Fixed blade knife with sheath and inert trainer
- 2-3 changes of street clothes to include pants, shirts and outerwear
- Concealed carry gear: sturdy belt, inside the waistband (IWB) holster & single and/or double magazine pouch
- Handheld flashlight with pocket clip
- Wrap around ballistic eye protection
- Hearing protection
- Firearms cleaning kit and quality lubrication
- Notebook and pencil
- Water, snacks, sunscreen and appropriate inclement weather clothing
- Open mind
*Students are welcome to use RDS equipped pistols, but must ensure they are properly zeroed. Recommended zero distance is 25 yards for optimal performance, but regardless students must know their impacts at ranges from 0-25 yards.
The below drills are suggested as minimum skill requirements to meet the prerequisites. All drills are shot using primary carry pistol from concealed. The recommended target is the TRICON TCT-MK4 available from Action Target or printable TRICON B8 target.
- TRICON “Delta” Drill: at the 5 yard line; fire 1 round in 3 seconds. Repeat drill firing 2 rounds, 3 rounds, 4 rounds and 5 rounds. Must be below par for each stage and score 120/150 or higher.
- TRICON “Bravo” Drill: at the 10 yard line, fire 9 rounds reload and fire 1 round in 15 seconds. Must be below par and score 80/100 or higher.
- TRICON “Oscar” drill: start at the 25 yard line and fire 5 rounds in 90 seconds. Move to the 15 yard line and fire 5 rounds in 15 seconds. Move to the 10 yard line, fire 5 rounds in 10 seconds. Must be below par at each stage and score 120/150 or higher.